Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bi-Craftual ~~How I Became A Knitter!


Now before I get started on my tale...let me confess something. I love to crochet..no..I am obsessed with crochet and love the things I am able to create. I have many things that not only brought a big smile to my face but hopefully for those that I bestowed my creations upon.

I first learned to knit in 7th grade. I recall feeling out of place with those two needles. I had no frame of reference since my mother and great-grandmother both crocheted. Anyhoo..I made a scarf..no I made many scarves and gave them away as Christmas gifts to my family. I recall the stitches being very loose and my use of a fingering-weight yarn for babies did not help matters at all. I did not feel the connection I felt when crocheting. At least with crocheting...at that time in my life...I could make a huge granny square. Fast forward to the future....I was watching Knit & Crochet Today on PBS..and Kristin Nicholas was demonstrating knitting the fair isle earflap hat. She was changing colors with ease. I had struggled with changing colors while crocheting a Redskins Afghan for my husband. I became frsutrated and put it away at least 3-4 times over a 2 year period. He became upset with each passing project. I decided to learn to knit so that I could complete the logo for the afghan. I went to Knittinghelp.com, I watched the video to learn how to "Long-tail cast on" and then it all came backto me! I was using size 10 needles with fingering-weight yarn in 7th grade. This time I used size 8 needles with worsted weight yarn! I finally felt comfortable knitting. I not only remembered how to knit..but I also remembered how to purl. Well after that ...I WAS KNITTING! I was so excited..and decided that I paid attention enough and started to make the Redskins logo. I was going wonderfully until I had knitted a few rows with color changes...and noticed that I pulled the yarn too tight when I changed colors. I put it away and decided to consult my knitting buddies about using circular needles instead. OMG...I was at it again and this time I made sure I left enough of the yarn to carry loosley until I needed to u se it. I am now officially becoming Bi-Craftual...a crocheter and now a born-again knitter. Once I finish the Redskin afghan I proclaim myself a knitter. I have enough needles to make anything I want. Look out ya'll NannDee can knit!

2 comments:

Melodye said...

Welcome to the onderful world of knitting. I see you're from Baltimore, I'm in Randallstown. Maybe I'll see you around. Where did you get the patterns for the purses?

Unknown said...

First, let me say that I’m a huge fan of your posts. You’re on my List Of Ravelry Favorites, and I often share your stuff with my knitting friends.

I am writing everyone on my Favorites List with a couple of questions. If you can answer them for me, it would be a HUGE HUGE HUGE favor. Really HUGE.

Thing is, I am writing a piece on Ravelry for my college magazine. Topic is WHY Ravelry is such a huge success. I need opinions from fellow Ravelers like you to back up this claim I am making.

These are the questions:

1) Why did you choose to join Ravelry?

2) How did you learn about Ravelry?

3) What does Ravelry give you that other sites don’t?

4) Absolutely anything else you’d like to share with me on this subject.

My quandary is this: I love the site and come here almost every week to look for knitting tips and ideas. (I haven’t joined yet, as I am too shy to talk of my own work…)

I want to understand why others do the same. Each person must have his or her own reason and I am very curious to understand this trend.

Once I write the piece, I intend to send it across to Bob the dog. Maybe, he will post it on the site to encourage newcomers or even use it for other promotion purposes.

Thank you in advance


Keep writing, keep sharing, keep creating
Warmest regards
Cynthia

My Email address is:
cynthiachesterfield@gmail.com